When demand for air travel declines during the fall and winter months, airlines and hotels roll out promotions to keep us on the road and in the sky, which helps build up those banks of loyalty points.
For example, yesterday United MileagePlus launched a double miles promotion valid during the very slow weeks leading up to Thanksgiving– from now through November 21 only. But the promo is full of catches and limiting loopholes.
For example, you’ll only earn double miles on domestic US flights in the contiguous 48 states, which is a clear sign that this promo is a reaction to Southwest’s double points offer (see below).
It only applies to flights booked and flown between now and Nov 21. So for example, if you already have a reservation to fly United next week, you won’t earn double miles on it.
Finally, and most irritatingly, it also does not apply to the lowest fare classes. And as usual, the double miles are BONUS miles and do not count toward your annual PQMs.
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards kicked off the double points promo last week, good for all flights booked and traveled between now and Nov 21.
What’s nice is that this DOES apply to Southwest’s cheapest Wanna Get Away fares, where you’ll earn six bonus points per dollar spent. More expensive Anytime fares earn 10 bonus points and Business Select fares earn 12 bonus points.
Virgin America is offering double Elevate points through Dec 31 to those booking more expensive (and roomy) Main Cabin Select or first class fare. Details here. Virgin has also slashed fares for trips during the two weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. Check out the deals here.
It’s not just airlines trying to pump up the volume during slower months…. hotels are getting in on the act, too.
For example, Best Western is offering up to 20% off its standard rates for those booking on its website and selecting “Internet Only” rates for stays between now and Nov 24. It’s also offering a nice bump of 1,000 points to members of Best Western Rewards. Details here. (Disclosure: I’m a contributor to Best Western’s YouMustBeTrippin.com blog.)
Anyone who has traveled to New York recently has felt the pain of some of the highest hotel rates in the country. But that will change during the cold dark weeks of early January.
From Jan 3-12, you’ll find rates of $100, $200 and $300 available at a variety of properties, (many of which currently go for nearly $500 a night), so the savings can be substantial.
For example, the popular Affinia Manhattan is going for $100 per night; the hip and brand new Refinery Hotel (garment district) and Jade hotel (Greenwich Village) are going for $200 per night. For $300 you can squeeze in the trendy new Thompson LES (Lower East Side) for $300.
For a full listing of participating hotels and how to get the discount see this.
SPONSOR: HOW TO GET A $400 AIRLINE TICKET FOR $89…and help out The BAT?: Want to snag an easy 40,000 bonus miles? Earn 2x miles on all purchases? Avoid obnoxious foreign transaction fees? Get TripIt Pro for free? Check out the new Barclaycard promo here or at the bottom of this post. Easy peasy! Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard – $89 Annual Fee Card We earn a small commission when BATs sign up, so if you are in the market for a new card, help us out and sign up! It’s quick and easy.
And just in case you missed it, here’s what else you need to know about Bay Area Travel over the last month:
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 or more on purchases in the first 90 days from account opening. 40,000 bonus miles equates to $400 off your next travel redemption!
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after account opening. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%, based upon your creditworthiness
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- No mileage caps or foreign transaction fees
- Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel statement credits (i.e. redeem 25,000 miles for travel and get 2,500 miles back)
- Use your card to book through any airline, hotel or discount travel engine with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Easily redeem your miles for statement credits towards all or a portion of your travel purchases within the last 90 days
- Complimentary online FICO® Score access for Arrival cardmembers