Today Virgin America releases its new, long awaited, much anticipated pre-flight safety video. It’s the first time Virgin has updated its safety video since the droll animated cult classic that debuted with the airline in 2007. As a matter of fact, the flashy new video is a complete departure from the previous version. So fasten your seat belts!
To me, it looks like an episode from Glee, and I keep expecting Mr Schue to come in and quiet everyone down and get to the serious business of safety. It’s fun to watch and definitely gets my attention. (High point for me is at 3:32- the bit about not smoking, “don’t you do it!”) But since BAT readers are frequent travelers… and will undoubtedly see this over and over again… I wonder how many times they’ll smile at it before they start to grimace… but who knows? Take a look, channel your inner Simon Cowell, and leave your comments below!
This is the first time an airline has set an entire safety video to music and performed in dance. Virgin says that its in-flight operations and safety teams worked closely together, with Federal Aviation Administration oversight, to ensure all safety regulations and requirements were met throughout the process.
Bay Area native and movie director Jon M. Chu (G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Step Up 2) shot the video in Los Angeles, using a cast of choreographers and characters including alums you may recognize from American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. (Hello, Todrick Hall!)
To celebrate the new video, the Virgin is launching a one-day “Buckle Up, To Get Down” special offer of up to 20%*off Virgin America flights for travel November 4, 2013- December 17, 2013 (restrictions apply). To get the deal, use the promo code GETDOWN on Virgin America’s website at www.virginamerica.com by midnight tonight. Photos, trailer and more info here: www.virginamerica.com/
So what do you think? Thumbs up or thumbs down? Do you like the old video or the new one better? Please leave your comments below.
HOW TO GET A $400 AIRLINE TICKET FOR $89: Want to snag an easy 40,000 bonus miles? Earn 2x miles on all purchases? Avoid obnoxious foreign transaction fees? Get TripIt Pro for free? Check out the new Barclaycard promo here or at the bottom of this post. Easy peasy! Money Magazine says that the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard is the BEST reward card out there. Check it out and help out The BAT! When you apply via our links we earn a commission. THANKS!
And just in case you missed it, here’s what else you need to know about Bay Area Travel over the last month:
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 or more on purchases in the first 90 days from account opening. 40,000 bonus miles equates to $400 off your next travel redemption!
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after account opening. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%, based upon your creditworthiness
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- No mileage caps or foreign transaction fees
- Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel statement credits (i.e. redeem 25,000 miles for travel and get 2,500 miles back)
- Use your card to book through any airline, hotel or discount travel engine with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Easily redeem your miles for statement credits towards all or a portion of your travel purchases within the last 90 days
- Complimentary online FICO® Score access for Arrival cardmembers